Soup is one of the easiest ways to rescue food. Welcoming all sorts of veggies inside, and delicious with all sorts of toppings, you can mix and match the items in your kitchen to put it together. Got veggie or meat stock? Great. If not, you can use water. Want it rich and creamy? Use butter and add cream. Want it vegan? Use olive oil and veggie stock.
The Rough Recipe
This amount could be dinner for just a few people, maybe with a big hunk of crusty bread, or a small appetizer for 6 or more. You can always add more veggies or liquid to increase the size and adjust to be vegan or gluten-free. You'll need about 15 minutes for prep and about 30 minutes to cook.
Here's what you'll need:
- A large stock pot
- Butter or olive oil
- 1 to 2 cups chopped allium (I used leeks - white all the way to the dark green parts, sliced thinly - as well as spring onions, and scallions)
- Fresh or dried herbs, optional
- 3 to 4 cups chopped veggies (ideally include some roots like potatoes for thickness - I used a combination of potatoes, kohlrabi and summer squash)
- About 4 cups stock or water
- An immersion blender or regular blender.
- For serving - a scoop of sour cream or plain yogurt, toasted breadcrumbs, fresh herbs or microgreens, a drizzle or pesto or olive oil, whatever you like
Heat a few tablespoons of butter or olive oil in your pot over medium-high heat. Add the allium and a pinch of any herbs you like, such as thyme or oregano or even red pepper flakes for a bit of heat. Cook, stirring often, until the allium have softened, about 5 minutes.
Add a large pinch of salt and the rest of your veggies, as well as the stock or water. Bring the mixture to a boil, then reduce the heat to medium-low and let the soup simmer for 20-25 minutes. Check to make sure everything is tender and cooked through, then let cool slightly. Insert a stick blender or transfer to a blender and blend until smooth. Taste, add salt or other seasonings as desired, and thin out with more stock or water or cream if desired. Ladle into bowls, top with toppings and enjoy!